Monday, October 03, 2005

Lemons, Lemonade and Acting

Sunday many AnimationMentees from Northern California met up for yet another AM BBQ. It was our fifth AM gathering and 2nd hosted by classmate Brian Nicolucci and his family. Thanks again Brian, Sue and Dakota! The bummer of some old friends not being able to make it was made up for by a number of new faces being there, including some brand new Level A students, and at least a couple who are considering enrollment. AnimationMentor Doug Dooley made it out as well. I remembered Doug from an enjoyable Saturday makeup Q&A I'd been in (it was Doug's first Q&A and he was great!), and it was sooper cool to meet another of our mentors in person! It was another time of great fun for all.

I almost wasn't able to go at the last minute. My mom's health has not been good, and Sunday morning seemed off to a bad start, but luckily she was okay and well enough to take care of herself while I was gone.

Today I wasn't so lucky; it was a rather stressful day. Aside from my mom needing continuous help, I had an extra 40-minute wait at the pharmacy for some meds that were supposed to be ready Sunday (Thanks again, MediCal! You complicate my life!). Later, the tube in my 22-inch Viewsonic monitor went out, accompanied by a serious burning wires scent. Yikes! But the good news is the 3-year warranty is still good--for 2 more weeks! Talk about close-calls. So it's going back to Viewsonic for repair or replacement. You know what they say when life gives you lemons: Call and get an RMA#! :)

I got last week's rough blocking assignment done slightly early, partly due to a serious multi-hour Maya session that ended at 6am Friday. It was fun, I just couldn't stop animating! That made it possible for me to meet Brian and his clan to see SERENITY Friday night totally guilt free! It was my second time seeing it but their first, and knowing every one of the Nicolucci fam is a mad Browncoat, it was awesome seeing it with them! Shiny! For anyone considering seeing Serenity who isn't already a Browncoat or fan of the TV series firefly, I recommend renting the DVDs before seeing the movie because it will make it even better, trust me.

Earlier tonight I got my eCritique from my mentor, who gave me some great suggestions and ideas to improve the blocking for this week. I've really been having a good time with this assignment, trying to get comfortable with the idea of acting out a line in front of a camera for reference. It's a lot easier if you're not being filmed and there's no audience.

2 comments:

anthea said...

yeah you go!! your assignment looks great to far, there are always going to be ups and downs in animation and life and i think you are doing a great job on that lemonade.

btw, so totally jealous that you got to hang w the nicalicious gang, AGAIN!! i demand that you no'caler's stop having fun without me!!

one of these days the LA kids will have a bbq, and then you'll see how it feels.

kenny r said...

well, just remember anthy, you guys are always invited. :)