Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Got a FINAL!


Sheesh. At least classes are going well so far! The tax seminar turned out to be a bust...next to zero help for my situation. When a representative from the IRS who's worked there for 20 years has no idea how to help you you know you're in trouble! I have maybe a few other options but this tax situation, and IHSS complication is looking grim at the moment.

For week 3 I got a "FINAL" on my assignment from Ike. He had very little in the way of notes, seemed to enjoy the last-minute changes I'd made, complimented my ability to be flexible (I assume rather than argue the change he requested), and he actually shouted "FINAL" just like they do in real life at PIXAR in those behind-the-scenes extras on the DVDs. Of course, I'm sure he noticed some things still need work--heck, the whole section from frames 44 through 82 is brand new and could use some more polish. But, just as in a real life situation, the deadline had come for the shot to be "put in the film" so that was that. The version I've included here is the rendered version, not the one I turned in for the assignment. (I felt it a bit presumptuous to turn it in as a final render without actually having the director [mentor] sign off on it.) If you watch it more than once you'll begin to see quite a few places yet to be refined. I will definitely revisit the shot as soon as I can. See how many boo boos you can spot, and if you have any notes let me know.

AM Assignment 403 - Rendered (QT H.264, 2.3MB)

Week 4's assignment was to block out a new dialog clip. The assignment expands on the previous ones by requiring interaction between two characters and at least two separate shots. Some people have indicated they would like to see the handcuffs in one of the close ups. Someone even suggested an acutal shot of the hands in the cuffs. While it's probably important we see that his hands are cuffed, I'm trying not to be too literal or obvious. For my tastes, when the Green Bishop says, "...with my hands cuffed behind my back" and lifts his shoulder, pointing to his hands using his head and eyes, that is enough to "know" that he's wearing cuffs.

Ike seemed to like what I'd done, and he also suggested a way of showing the cuffs. A few classmates seemed to really like my opening wide shot, but Ike prefers a tighter shot. I'm thinking that a tighter establishing shot can satisfy the need to show the hands in cuffs, thus eliminating pointing them out so directly during the rest of the scene. What do you think?

I was a bit confused about whether we were supposed to just do layout or rough blocking, but luckily I put in some blocking anyway. I should have labeled it with the status of "blockout" (isn't that hysterical??). Ok, here's what I turned in:

AM Assignment 404 (QT H.264, 780k)

5 comments:

Brad said...

Hey Kenny. Bishop looks so pretty all rendered like that. I like the lighting too. Glad that shot came out so nice.

I think closer on the
establishing shot makes more sence.
Good luck with blocking!

kenny r said...

Thanks for the comment Brad!

Kimotion said...

Very NICE! Kenny!

anthea said...

hi kenny, wow your facial bishop final came out awesome!!! great work, and the clip you are using for your new shot is really funny. i like all the staging and poses you have so far. the only shot i have a problem with is the last over the shoulder, the "dont make it weird" since this is the bookend on your shot i would have it from the same angle as your opening, but zoomed in so you have a medium close of both characters, like a feeling of "they're in this together" and i would have the tied up character get physically closer to the other guy for the dont make it weir..to make it even weirder.

kenny r said...

Hey, Anthea! That's actually a good idea, thanks. I might run it past Ike and get his thoughts. What I'd really like to do with that is to do the close up as is, and then cut to that 2 shot, showing Green closer and try to convey the awkwardness by extending the nat sound of the jungle with no further dialog. That, however, would push the scene far beyond the time-limit of the assignment so I might do that version later. I would really want to hold, uncomfortably long there.
Thanks for stopping by!