Monday, February 20, 2006

WACOM Doodles (Or "WACoodles")

Seems it's customary when getting a new tablet to post some doodles. Having finished my Animation Mentor homework, I took some time out to play around with the new WACOM and ArtRage2. The first doodle is this crybaby guy. While not as elaborate and feature rich as Painter, ArtRage is nice for quick scribbles.

Incidentally, how do you pronounce WACOM? Long a as in way and com like in comedy, or like the a sound in cat and then come as in "...All Ye Faithful?" Or are both of these wrong? :D

Sunday I cancelled an appointment because of a live Q&A we had with Animation Mentor prez and co-founder Bobby Beck. (I'd thought it was 1-2pm but it was actually 2-4!!) Among other things Bobby talked to us about concerns many of us seniors have about our upcoming classes 5 & 6, wherein we will each be making our own animated short films. The details are not important here except to say that most of our reactions were of the "yay!" and "cool!" variety. We have a reputation of seeming over-enthusiastic about our school, but for those of us who've been there from the beginning--and just about everyone else who has enrolled since--the enthusiasm is pretty well placed. It is truly the intention of everyone at AM to give us the best animation education possible. Occasionally, new announcements are made, details are revealed about what's in store, and it's usually exciting and sounds like a lot of great fun and great challenges. That and we're kind of an excitable bunch.

In my assignment for week 6 I made the changes Ike asked for and though I was struggling with it while in the thinking stage, after the first hour or so of actually working on it I really felt myself getting into it. I kept wishing I'd not been falling asleep or had another day (don't we always want more time?) because I was so excited (remember what I said above?) that I just wanted to finish the whole thing, polish it and get a final. Of course, that was just wishful thinking, given that I'm only now in reblock status on the scene. Plus Ike specifically said he wanted us to be in refined blocking until next time. He said at places like PIXAR it's very important to wait for your director to buy off on your blocking before you start refining things. So I took his notes from the eCritique and Q&A, and resisted the temptation to refine the scene further (okay I was also in need of sleep by that point, too). Since it's still in stage where it looks no more finished than the one from week 4, I'm not gonna bore anyone by posting this version. Maybe next week.



No comments: