Friday, June 17, 2005

Time

They say time flies when you're having fun. The past 12 weeks of school at AnimationMentor.com have just zipped by and we're about to start the second class, sometimes referred to as second quarter and second semester. Whichever is correct, it starts next week and I'm ill prepared!

It's not so much I'm slow and lazy. That's true sometimes. The reality is my time is not my own. Caring for my disabled, geriatric parents is a full-time job with at least 20hrs of overtime per week--not that I actually get paid, that is (more on that in another post). Every day I am literally overwhelmed with tasks, tending to my parents' needs especially my mom who can barely walk sometimes. The last two weeks have been especially bad. I dare not go into it too much here lest this blog becomes all about the trials of being a caregiver rather than AM student as it's intended. Suffice it to say my mom has had to be taken to ER 3 times in the past 4 weeks and was in the hospital for 5 days last week. I'm currently faced with trying to get her placed in custodial care, a decision the rest of my family has left me to decide all on my own. It's not something I want to do but my mom's condition has long been beyond my ability to adequately care for her--she needs professional care. It's extremely stressful and time-consuming trying to manage it all without any help.

This leaves precious little time for myself, let alone for school. Last week (week 11, supposedly my lucky number) I wasn't even able to touch my homework. The week before I got my lowest grade so far at AM. I sent a message of explanation to my mentor and AM prez Bobby Beck, who responded with understanding and encouragement. I went ahead and paid tuition for Class 2 hoping that I will not have to cancel. Hopefully I'll be able to make it all work.

1 comment:

Brian "My Fault" Nicolucci said...

Hey man, sorry to hear about your situation. My wife went through something similar with her mom and grandfather. Stuff like this is never easy and it's always made even tougher when you are the responsible member of the family. I know when we finally had to place my wifes grandfather in custodial care it was difficult at first but proved to be the right move in the long run. What you are doing takes an insane amount of heart and determination and you should be proud of the job you are doing my man!

Hopefully you can make it out here Saturday but if not no worries, there will be other meetings. If you are up for it I can figure out a good time and head down your way and we can hang out and shoot the shit on animation.

Take it easy my animation brutha!!!